Post Judgment Collection in Florida

After a Judgment is obtained in Florida there are several different methods to consider to effectively liquidate your judgment. However, as a matter of routine practice a certified copy of the Florida Judgment should be recorded in any Florida county that you believe the debtor may have real property. This will act as a lien against that property. The Judgment should also be recorded with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations to secure a judgment lien against the debtor’s personal property.

Our firm will attempt to garnish a debtor’s bank account if that information is available. Surprisingly, many debtors have paid our clients in the past and still use the same bank account. If there is no banking information available, our collection firm will serve a Fact Information Sheet, pursuant to the Florida Rules of Court on the debtor. If the debtor fails to answer the Fact Information Sheet in a timely manner, our law firm can petition the Court to have the debtor appear before the Court and tell the Judge why it has not furnished our firm with the debtor’s financial information. If the debtor fails to appear before the Court, the Judge can order that a Writ of Bodily Attachment be issued. If that occurs, the debtor will be picked up by the Sheriff’s Department and face possible incarceration for failure to comply and appear before the Court.

Our firm may consider other avenues such as bringing in a successor entity or the debtor’s principals for fraudulently transferring its assets to either an insider of the debtor or another closely held entity. We can take a debtor’s post judgment deposition to discover assets. We can also serve a wage garnishment, if we are able to determine a place of employment for the debtor.

There are many things to consider when trying to collect a Judgment in Florida. Please feel free to contact our Florida Collection Firm to discuss your Florida Post Judgment matter. After a review of your case, Mr. Gebeloff will devise a post judgment collection strategy that is appropriate for you.

Contact Stephen B. Gebeloff, P.A., Collection Law Firm at (561) 953-4600 or email Mr. Gebeloff [email protected] to discuss your post judgment debt collection needs.